Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Becoming a Social Media Intern


Finding a job in the world of marketing, is no easy task especially when you are still in school. I have been diligently looking for the right job out there for me, or any job at that point.I stumbled across a job posting for a social media intern online.

The job posting was as follows:

-Work with the social media director
-Promote and interact with customers in several social media facets.
-Be active in Facebook/Twitter/blogging
-Manage Twitter/Facebook/blogging and other social media platforms for multiple accounts

So wait... This job basically entails me sitting at the computer, on websites that I am already using all day to market for beauty and skin care lines?? This is AMAZING!

For someone who has been very indecisive in school, starting as a pre-Business major—thinking this is not for me, I need to be more creative, and I want to write. So I then switched to Journalism which after one semester and many people in the profession giving one piece of advice--- RUN, GET OUT NOW!, I decided to change my major once again.

Okay. So if I am going to pay all this money to get a degree, but I still have NO IDEA what I want to do, what is going to be the most beneficial major? So it was back to Business, but with a twist lets go to the creative side of business, which is how I ended up majoring in Marketing and Advertising

So now that I have found this social media intern job, I now have a direction in which to use my degree which feels great! I get to take my marketing and advertising business degree, and market through the new world of social media, and bonus---I get to write (blog) too!

Check back later for more postings as I take you through learning the world of social media marketing. You can also check me out on Twitter @smediaintern or on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Rachel,

    Hey there, thanks for posting your thoughts on this blog and thanks for following me on Twitter! (my handle is thefriendlytech)...

    I have been professionally facilitating webinars for over a year now, and I'm still learning new social media tools and strategies and bringing them to the attention of the consulting company for whom I work, so I would love to connect with you and trade ideas and discoveries!

    I have created a blog here on Blogger for my technology consulting firm, which is located at http://thefriendlytechguy.blogspot.com/ I also have a similar blog on Wordpress.

    Thanks again for connecting! I look forward to sharing thoughts and stepping into the future of social media and networking!

    Have a great day! Talk to you soon.


    Sincerely,

    Brian Keating (a.k.a. "The Friendly Tech")

    ReplyDelete